The student news site of Cypress Ridge High School

The RamPAGE

How to Make Spam Fried Rice

Although it could look a bit bland, this fried rice recipe will enhance your fried rice experience

Lizeth Gonzalez, Editor in Chief

Photo by: Lizeth Gonzalez
The finished product of spam fried rice

Fried rice is a classic dish that would satisfy any craving when it comes to rice dishes.  Fried Rice can include many different ingredients and can be tailored for vegetarians as well. From beef, shrimp, chicken, vegetables and spam! Many different ingredients can go into it, that’s why the recipe for it can be widely interpreted in many ways. So today we’ll use spam for our fried rice.

Ingredients You’ll Need:

• 1 garlic clove
  • ¾ onion
  • 1 can of spam
  • 1 ½ tbsp soy sauce (any type is okay)
  • 1 tsp fish sauce
  • ½ cup of uncooked white or brown rice
  • 3 eggs
  • sesame oil (corn & vegetable oil are fine as well)
  • pepper & salt

Prep:

Mince the garlic clove into small pieces. Cut the onion into bite size pieces (as big as your nail) along with the spam.

Step One:

Cook ½ cup of uncooked rice with one cup of water over medium heat on the stove or in a rice cooker until it’s soft but firm.

Step Two: Coat the bottom of the pan with oil and heat the pan to medium high heat. Whisk 3 raw eggs in a small bowl with a pinch of salt. When the pan is hot pour the eggs in and set the pan heat to low. When the eggs have fully cooked remove from the pan and set aside to be cut up into small pieces.

Step Three:

With the same pan that you made the egg coat the pan with oil and set to medium high heat. Place the minced garlic clove into the pan along with the spam until the spam starts to brown. Place the cut ¾ onion into the pan with the spam, and garlic and mix until the onion is slightly brown on the edges.

Step Four:

Pour all the cooked rice into the pan with the spam, onion, and garlic and mix until the ingredients are mixed around evenly. Add 1 ½ tbsp of soy sauce into the pan and fold the rice into itself till the soy sauce has covered a big portion of the rice. Fold in 1 tsp of fish sauce into the rice, so that all the rice is covered with a hint of fish sauce.

Step Five:

Incorporate the egg back into the rice and fold it into the rice until it’s evenly dispersed through the rice. Add a pinch of salt and as much pepper as you’d like! Serve with Sriracha if desired.

At the end of it all, place the steamy rice into a plate and commence serving. Serves four people comfortably or have it for lunch four different times! If you’re vegetarian you could always substitute the spam for mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, peas and tofu. You can add green onion for any of these dishes and substitute in shrimp, meat, chicken or even ham. Any way you choose to make this recipe, it comes out as a nice dish for thanksgiving, lunch, dinner or even something to bring to a potluck.

Sources for Ingredients:

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/09/viet-huong-3-crabs-fish-sauce-tasting.html

http://www.kikkomanusa.com/homecooks/products/products_hc_details.php?pf=10101&fam=101

http://www.kikkomanusa.com/homecooks/products/products_hc_details.php?pf=10527&fam=105